Many of us look outside ourselves with intent on finding things that will make us happy. Sadly this isn’t where true happiness resides; happiness comes from within not “without”. If you’re not happy with yourself in your current circumstances then nothing will make you happy until you flip the switch and decide to be happy with what you’ve got.
Living a selfish life wrecks havoc on our self-esteem and our self-worth; although our esteem may be at an all time low this doesn’t mean it can’t be re-awoken and soar to new heights.
Even if our circumstances are brutal and hard to rise above we must always remember these inner principles to being and improving self-worth:
- Strive for better – Each day there are winners and losers, do you consider today a win in the grand scheme of things? Did you step closer to your goals or fall further away?
- Push past exhaustion – Just because the elements are not perfect doesn’t mean effort isn’t necessary. Push through doubts, exhaustion and any necessary conflict.
- Recognize needs verses wants – Be deliberate with how you utilize your resources. Avoid any vicious cycles of coping with stress, battle your conditions and elicit better (positive) ways to cope.
- Recognize workplace success vs. a successful life – Sometimes to have a successful life we must abide by the roles we’ve been given. Don’t squander your opportunities; they may not be ideal but honor each moment with awareness and see where life takes you.
- Recognize flawed patterns – Whether these flawed patterns are our negative thinking, over thinking or idolizing material possessions; choose to let go. It is what it is; manage what you’ve been given.
- See the good in others – Keep conversations light-hearted, don’t dig into pasts or try to make sense of everything. Validate feelings and give your honest perspective, everyone has a voice that needs to be heard.
- See the bigger picture
a) Everyone wants to belong, everyone is human, and we’re all the same with a few subtle differences. Don’t let differences divide, let differences influence positive change.
b) Everyone’s got their own problems; running away is never the solution, and not everyone copes well.
- Understand we all have bad days – Okay so today wasn’t perfect, that doesn’t mean we have to beat ourselves up. We all have off days but don’t let that discourage you. It’s not easy but try and wake up every morning with a sense of bliss thinking “nothing could be better than it is right now.”
- Being the victim is a choice – Attitude is everything. Bring a positive light for all to see but only confide in those who show true loyalty.
- Everything happens for a reason – Don’t bask in your failures; mistakes are stepping stones to success. Brush that dust of your shoulder and choose to challenge life.
Ultimately effort is between you and you. If you’re not willing to sacrifice something to get to where you want be honest with yourself. Like stated above “nothing could be better than it is right now”, if you’re not happy with yourself how do you expect to be happy with others and the world around you?
Self-love is everything; don’t forget your worth.
Here’s some age old wisdom: Love yourself and treat others as you wish to be treated.